Saturday 7 September 2013

Less than a week to go...

This first entry does not reach you from the depths of Africa, but rather from the relative comfort of my own UK home.  However, with less than a week until I leave, I thought it a good idea to share some pre-departure thoughts.

Life has become hectic this week as final preparations are made before leaving.  Attempts to see as many people as possible, farewell parties planned and the daunting task of packing is even underway.  Maybe I should redefine my use of the word 'packing', which should more truthfully read: 'dumping-everything-that-might-even-just-be-slightly-useful-over-the-course-of-the-next-year-on-the-floor-of-the-spare-room'.  So still a long way to go yet!  With a weight limit of just 20kg and a 60 litre rucksack to pack belongings into, perhaps it would be best to leave the kitchen sink behind...

As I start to say my goodbyes, telling people that I will see them in a year's time, there is a part of me that has not quite accepted that I will be away for so long.  Unlike those who will be leaving for university, there will be no option of returning for Christmas, Easter, or perhaps a reading week.  Once in Senegal, I will be there for the duration.  This means that I will have a real opportunity to integrate into the community, make new friends and experience Senegalese life in all its seasons: an exciting prospect!  However, having never spent more than a week away from home without my family, I am sure that there will be a number of new challenges to overcome.

Whilst there is no end of physical preparation that can be done (don't even ask how many vaccinations have been taken), mental immunity is something that cannot be so easily practised or prepared.  I am expecting to experience some sort of culture shock, but in what form it might take I am completely unsure.  If you will excuse the cliché, I imagine that the only thing that can be expected of this year is the unexpected.

As the departure date comes ever closer, my enthusiasm builds.  It is time to wash away any trivial fears and embrace a new and exciting future.  With that in mind, maybe the kitchen sink will come in handy after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment